lundi, janvier 30, 2006

the Net at Home - Home with the Net

I am moving Feb 1st, so my Net situation is far from being clear. ;)

First things first: my computer is a laptop. I used a high speed modem. I am connected every time my laptop is on, and it is on almost all day.

Since Feb last year, I have been living with a roommate, so I have kept my computer in my bedroom - my only private space - most of the time. It sat on and IKEA desk - very clean, very neat, very functional, with my books, readers and all handy. That desk - and thus the laptop - was the first thing you'd run into when you'd walk into my room. I put it there because:

  • I could see through the window from where I sat, and there was a lot of light;
  • The power outlet was conveniently there;
  • It forced me to sit with my back to the bed. Reduced the appeal of the ominous flat, wide and comfy object in my room.

  • Whenever my roommate was away for a while, or when I needed to work on a paper that required the use of many books, I would move the laptop to the kitchen area, where a wide table gave me more space to spread my stuff.
    I'd sometimes get a wireless signal from that place.

    From Feb 1st on, I'll live alone in a house where there is a wireless connection. My room is in the basement.
    I'll most likely end up doing most of my work upstairs, where there is more light, and a very large table.

    The ubiquitous connection will be a plus:

  • I love to cook, so I'll be able to surf while cooking;
  • I love to work in different places, I find it inspiring;

  • There is a wonderful, comfy leather sofa in the living room;
  • I'll be able to move from one place to another without loosing the connection, which currently happens.

  • And the fact that I will be living alone allows me more freedom in my use of space and of the net.

    What does my computer/internet space say about me? That I am someone focused on efficiency, very organized, who has developed a strong online community, and who keeps in touch with friends everywhere on the planet through email.
    The "ideal," flexible situation I will be living in from Feb 1st tells how important the Net has become in my life, as a working tool, socializing medium, and source of entertainment.