jeudi, mai 25, 2006

Ces porcs, d'Amsterdam

I left Amsterdam yesterday, after a good time with Luke and Marshall, the two American cousins I met in Munich and who took the train with me. We had a good time last night, going to three different places with another guy I met at the hostel, an Italian called Gabriel.

I saw the Rijksmuseum, an exhibit on Rembrandt. It was very nice. Some pictures coming. I also went to a wonderful picture exhibition, the World Press Photo 2006. I bought a book with the pictures. Amazing visual survey of 2006.

I bought the funkiest pair of pants: red with flowers, they resemble my gi pants. Yasu agrees they are probably inspired by some Japanese clothing.

Generally, though, I can’t say that I liked Amsterdam. The place is a little bit nasty. I got bitten by some weird bugs at the hostel, such that I now look as if I had a third arm growing from my forehead. There were drug dealers everywhere, and men “eye-ing” me like I was nothing but a piece of flesh… which is exactly what most women are in Amsterdam. I found it quite disgusting. Happy I went there with some people I trusted…

I met Rob Hagendijk for dinner and a wonderful concert on the night of the 22nd. We had a great time, wonderful discussions as always, and he offered me a place in the Science Studies program if I am interested. Certainly a wonderful backup plan if Stanford turns out not to be what I expect. He showed me a few very nice places in the downtown, told me a little about the history of the city. We also went to a ship building field. Very interesting.

I am now at Yasu’s. We had a pasta dinner, had a “short” nap of four hours, and watched the Euro Trip movie, a MUST according to Yasu, the Americans, and all those I met on my trip. Quite funny.

We’ll cook a very nice meal tomorrow. Yasu, the chef, will hopefully teach me a few things. Great! Then, Friday, we’ll probably go to Belgium. I have to have some mussels and white beer. I promised ma Perounette.

From what I have seen now, I very much like Cologne, just like I liked Munich and Berlin. The air is fresh and smells nice, there are trees everywhere and birds signing, people look happy. It is all very good stuff.

Now, some more reflections on Europe and my European experience. As I told Yasu today, it is very interesting to travel Europe as a woman, because it seems that very much fewer women travel than guys. In Prague, for Vic’s birthday, we were 2 girls to 9 guys. When we went out on my last night in Munich, I was alone with 9 guys. Yesterday, I was alone with 3. The dynamics is just very strange… And it is not because I invited only guys out. I have invited everyone I met, but there are just NO WOMEN traveling.

For example, I was given an apple by a fruit store employee as I bought some food at the Viktuailmarkt in Munich. I was given a CD by an employee of a restaurant in Amsterdam. A chocolate too. Gabriel offered his hat (picture to come), which I could not take, really.

Yasu agreed that in many cultures, women would not even dare going on such a trip, and certainly not alone. In Japanese culture, as he said, women my age are more likely to be thinking about having a family than to go on holidays.

I have received an email from Eddy today. I am thinking about Haiti now. I wonder what I should do with the rest of my summer. I feel restless, quite frankly, and the discussions that I have had with the people around me here just make me want to leave again and experience some more things. Talking with Yasu about Japan, for example, makes me want to go there. And then there is Sam going to Argentina, Agnes going back to Europe. But there is also China with the Dojo that could happen next summer.