dimanche, novembre 05, 2006

Back from Vancouver

Through the airplane window I see the clouds. They look like a white sea illuminated by a bright sun and kissed by the blue sky. They roll in waves of cotton under the plane, in constant flux but yet everywhere.

Down under, where the sun refuses to go today, lies Vancouver the Dark.

I spent 4 days there in the rain, getting wet and soaked everytime I dared stepping outside the hotel where the conference was held.

Luckily, I was there with two great people: N, whom I knew from before, and who is quite an interesting character: sweet and direct and stringent at the same time. I met A, and the 'match' could not have been better given what I am going through these days. The three of us had fun in the cold rain enjoying the warm presence of the others. We laughed, discussed more or less important matters. "Grew up" all the while.

Met with J, whom I knew from Toronto.
Had a good time having great pizza and beer while being "served" by a classmate from elementary school in Quebec City. Quite a coincidence.

When N and I arrived at the Vancouver airport Wednesday, I waited in line at Starbucks behind a man who, visibly, had a lot of money. He ordered a double tall latte with a ham and cheese croissant, but once at the cash, paid for a regular latte with a plain croissant. He saved a big 3\$ maybe, while lying and exploiting the staff.
I didn't dare say a thing, unlike my usual self. I am getting older?

I presented my paper in front of a too sympathetic crowd, who didn't dare making comments on it.
I basically felt like I went there for no reason.
The conversation that we held afterwards was worth it to some extent. We agreed that the weight of "scientific" evidence in decision making deserves further scrutiny. Good stuff: that's what I want to study.

Wearing a Stanford tag has the weirdest consequences: people show you respect. They come and ask for your point of view and for advice.

The strangest thing ever.

I would be the same person I am now, with a University of Nowhereland tag, and I would go (almost) unnoticed. But the S word opens doors. N concurs.

Besides. N told me that I have a "French" style of scholarship, from what he has seen me present.
Quite interesting.
We agree that the obvious but understudied cultural difference in French vs. English-language academic style has to be looked into.

S told me that he will be in San Jose in two weeks' time, for the AAA conference. I didn't say a thing.

I will be filling a form in order to be moved Monday. I was told I'd get out of my current apartment soon, but would be re-moved in January.
We'll see how that goes.
My only requirement is to have a kitchen.
;)

Time to work on my next feminist paper, which is due Monday.
Good stuff.

e!

1 Comments:

Blogger ron st.amant said...

Make sure you let me know when you come back to Toronto for a visit ok??

11/15/2006 9:33 p.m.  

Publier un commentaire

<< Home